Sunday 3 April 2011

Woman breast feeds husband - Seriously???

Normally, I don't buy magazines like Take a Break & That's Life because I find the stories in them sad and depressing. My hairdresser had a colleague who refered to them as 'Murder mags' But as I'm about to have a letter published in That's Life and I don't want to miss my moment of glory, I have been buying it of late.

Now call me old fashioned, but this week there was a story that, quite honestly, made my toes curl.

It was about a woman who was breastfeeding all her children. Very admirable you might say until I tell you they were all teenagers. Reading up on breastfeeding when she was first pregnant this lady decided breast was best. Nothing wrong with that because we all know it is - if you can do it.

Trouble is, once she started she didn't stop. Now her thirteen-year-old son thinks nothing of latching on for a quick slurp. He's down to two feeds a day, she says. Of course then there's the other two kids who she still feeds regularly. And if that's not enough, because she feels breast milk benefits the immune system and her husband has cancer in his family, she has got him having a feed as well!

In fact, if she's a bit off-colour she pumps out a glass for herself.

To cope with this drain on her body she consumes 9,000 calories a day.

She believes it's perfectly natural and she's doing it to help her children. Firstly, let me say. A childs immune system is established between five and eight years and when a child loses it's milk teeth it's jaw changes slightly and the ability to suckle like a baby disappears. So 'natural' it ain't.

She also says her children are all doing well at school because of her breast milk. Well, I have three sons. Two went to university and have law degrees, one is now a solicitor and the other has travelled the world and now works for an international company in London. My youngest, who I home schooled, is amazingly artistic, plays the guitar and is a computer whizz. And I can assure you I didn't breast feed any of them beyond a year!

Come on lady, when your kids can undo your blouse and you've stubble abrasions on your chest - it's time to stop! I mean, what next? They're going to ask you to express for their cafe lattes? And if your teenagers think its normal, heaven help you if they decide to invite their mates over for dinner.

The face of her children were blurred in the magazine but she was there in all her glory, boobs hanging out, because she wants to tell the world that what she is doing isn't weird. Blurred her kids faces might have been, but all their friends and peers are still going to know they are breast fed! Not to mention what her husbands work mates are going to say. Can you imagine what life is going to be like for them now? They might be all be clever and not get colds but their lives are going to be a nightmare.

A shop in London now sells icecream containing breast milk. It's called Baby Gaga. When a reporter asked where they got the breast milk from he was told 'some woman from Leeds' Turns out the lady who donates her milk gets £15 for every 10 ounces.

I'm not being judgemental. They are their boobs and these ladies can do what they want with them. I just don't think the lady in That's Life should have spread what she does across two pages.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of the breast...uh I mean best blog post i've read in a while I mean it really tits TAKES! the biscuit.

    ReplyDelete