Saturday 16 April 2011

Real Men Don't Diet

I started a diet - again. I'm always on a diet. I usually start on Monday and then Monday doesn't go so well. Maybe work goes badly or my tyre gets a puncture. By afternoon it has turned out to be a bad day to start a diet, I'm not in the right frame of mind. I have now justified my reason for reaching for the biscuit barrel. I tell myself it's okay, I'll start again tomorrow. But then Tuesday comes and well, it's not the beginning of the week anymore, is it? Who starts a diet on a Tuesday? So then I tell myself it's best to start afresh the following Monday. Oh, then that means I now have 6 days in which to eat as much as possible before the BIG DIET starts. My last fling with the food I will be denied. I embark on eating my own body weight in biscuits and chocolate. And then Monday finally comes and I start my diet with great enthusiasm because this is IT! This is the start of me becoming a new super slim person. Oh, but what happens next? Monday turns out to be a really bad day again so I abandon the diet and the cycle starts all over.
And now I officially hate myself!

Men don't diet. Most of them never seem to need to, which is so annoying. And those that do need to, well they just - don't. They don't care if their belly enters a room two minutes before they do. In fact, they will probably boast to their mates how many lagers it took to grow it. How many women would take off their tops at a football match and delight in showing the world their pasty-white, fat bellies? How many men have you seen do it? They just don't care. The T.V camera is on them. It's the middle of winter and they are standing in the terraces, topless.


No. Men don't do the D-word. That's why soft drink companies call diet sodas names like Coke Zero and Pepsi One because they know men don't like the D-word.

And when they do decide to lose weight they call it getting into 'shape' because dudes don't diet.

But us women, oh we love the D-word. The average woman spend 31 years of her life on a diet. Yes, 31 years!!! All that time trying, mostly in vain, to have a super lithe body. Wishing we had perfect 'celebrity' figures. What a waste of 31 years?

I'm not knocking skinny celebrities. I understand why they think they need to be so thin. But I didn't realise that until I was in New York a few years ago when I saw the country singer, Martina McBride, record an outside concert for the CBS morning show.



Martina was super thin. We couldn't get over just how thin she was. Behind her she had a backing singer who had a lovely figure. A figure to die for. Curves in the right places and not fat - not at all. The next morning we watched the CBS early morning show. Martina looked absolutely perfect. But the backing singer? Well she looked - fat. Seems the camera does lie after all.

We are drilled to think we must be slim. We see airbrushed images of celebrities and are conned into thinking in order to have a perfect life we need to be a size zero. But it wasn't always this way. Look at Marilyn Monroe. Surely one of the most beautiful people - ever.


Today, Marilyn Monroe would make the 'fat celebrity' list.

But there are a few celebs not bowing to pressure and long may they stick it out. Altho I can't see them not caving in at some point. Adele is a normal size 14-16 and says she hasn't time to think about dieting.


Isn't she pretty?

So, you know what? I've now decided not to diet anymore. Come on girls, join me. Let's be like the boys. Life is too short to be living on lettuce leaves and carrot sticks. The important thing is to be healthy. Eat the right food and taked care of your body, If that means you are naturally going to be a size 14, 16, 18 whatever, then so be it. That's who you are.

And if you are reading this, please, please leave a comment about how you feel. And follow me. Or if you have a blog, tell me what it is so I can follow you.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Patti, just had to leave a comment. Saw your blog after you introduced yourself on the LinkedIn Writers group and took a look. You are a wonderful writer and a lovely soul. I loved the 'shut your mouth' video--thanks for clueing me in to Julian Cope. As far as your diet efforts, I'm in the same boat and agree we put too much emphasis on it. I think our efforts should be proportional to how important it is in life, so I only try to change one thing at a time until I get that habit down, like not having sugar until after noon. In spite of developing good new habits, I noticed it all goes out the window when I'm tired but I don't know how to combat that when life won't go away and leave me alone, you know? Anyway, love your blog. I have one that I'm not attending to much but will keep trying: http://compassionateprogressivism.blogspot.com/.

    ReplyDelete