Wednesday 16 March 2011

Julie Driscoll stole my eyebrows!

Julie Driscoll has a lot to answer for. Julie Driscoll? Iconic 60s singer with short, short hair, needle thin eyebrows and painted lashes. Back in the 60s me and my school friends idolised her. Weekends found us vigorously plucking brows, razor cutting hair and practising painting on those incredible black lashes which inevitably, on us, looked as if we'd had a head on collision with a couple of tarantulas.




Years past. Julie Driscoll faded from popularity and we got on with growing up.
But we were forever left with Julie Driscoll's legacy -- those infamous needle thin eyebrows, because they never quite grew back.

I lost interest in make up. I'd slap some on if I was going somewhere special but being so busy with work and children my make up routine was usually a hurried swipe of Lypsyl before I swept out the door on the school run. As the years went on and the family grew up I had more time, besides which, my face seriously began to need more attention.

I'd put on my makeup, but it never looked quite right. Until one day when I walked past the bakery and it hit me. No, not the bakery, the mirror outside the bakery. For some inexplicable reason there is a mirror near the entrance to the bakery. Not exactly a good marketing tool - who wants to see their figure when they are going in to buy a cream bun?

I stared at my face. Why didn't I look right?

Ah! There it was. No visible eyebrows. Over plucking a la Julie Discroll style, my brows had never really grown back and my eyebrows were now so faint you could hardly see them and boy, do you need eyebrows. Just check out these celebs without theirs.

www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/celebrities-without-eyebrows-cg3

'Why didn't someone tell me I hadn't any eyebrows,' I bleated to my family.

'We thought you knew,' replied one of my sons.

They were there when I put my makeup on in the morning. Well, faintly there. I saw them in the magnified mirror. But when I looked in photos, it was true. You couldn't see them. And to make matters worse the Daily Telegraph then did an article entitled: 'Plucked eyebrows may reveal a personality disorder'

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2275331/Beware-of-the-narcissist-Plucked-eyebrows-may-reveal-a-personality-disorder.html

Not only did I not have any brows to speak of, apparently I'd got a distinct, diagnosable malady into the bargain!!!

So now, whenever I see a woman my age with two crayoned arches where her brows once were. I think 'Beware. Julie Discroll fan'

No comments:

Post a Comment