Sunday 1 July 2012

What's in a name?

I was named 'Patricia' after Queen Victoria's grandaughter - Princess Patricia of Connaught. My dad must have thought he'd give me a bit of a head start in the 'class' department. Perhaps this is how he hoped I'd turn out.
Unfortunately, along with the elocution lessons, it didn't really work and I turned out more of a...
....only with longer hair! I hated the name 'Patricia' passionately. Names go in cycles and we can often roughly date a person's age by their christian name. (I fear there will be an awful lot of middle-age Kylies and Keanus at some point, all cursing their parents.) 'Patricia' is a 1940s name and I certainly wasn't born in the 1940s! This was also a bone of contention when I berated my poor dad for my christian name. But absolutely worst of all, I was never actually called Patricia! From day one I was known as...I can barely bring myself to write it down...PAT!!! Can you imagine calling a baby 'PAT'??? Even one with an excessive amount of chubby folds. No offense to any Pats reading this, but I hated it. Pat rhymed with fat, mat, rat, tat...school was not pleasant. Then at the age of 10 I had an epiphany! I discovered Pattie Boyd.
If a fairy godmother could have granted me one wish, it would have been that I would look like Pattie Boyd. I thought she was the most beautiful girl on earth and, not only that, she eventually married my favourite Beatle, George Harrison. That was it! I dropped the 'e' and told the world that from now on I was known as 'Patti' Little did I think of how I might feel about that at middle-age. Because, at ten years old, middle-age was a zillion years away, wasn't it? Now, yet again, I find myself hating it with a passion. It didn't help that I married someone with the surname 'Bright' For the last ***** years I've lived with a name that wouldn't look out of place on a doll at ToysRus!
However, I am assured it could be much worse. My O.H great grandmother appeared to have remarried at some point to a Mr Pink! Had my O.H grandfather taken his mother's new married name, I would now be PATTI PINK!!! WELL, NO I WOULDN'T. Even if my O.H had the looks of an Adonis, the voice of Owen Wilson (my favourite) and the money of Bernie ecclestone, I would not have married him with the surname PINK! When I lived in Texas, I became friends with a girl who also hated her name and was dying to change it. We lost touch and a few years later she popped up on the local television channel with an entirely different christian name and an exotic one at that. I always thought it was impossible to change a christian name but since then several people I know have changed theirs. I wish I had done that! My favourite name is my mothers - Kate. I researched my family history and there's a whole bunch of 'Kate's so why in gods name I ended up with Patricia, I'll never know. Is it possible to change? Well, y'know. I'm thinking about it. For a couple of people in the know, I have already assumed this identity in a certain area. So watch this space - there might be a Kate popping up somewhere near you.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Kate, So we have just officially renamed you.
    Just finished reading this & laughing out loud and disturbing the rest of the gang watching the football finals.
    Heard that you can change your name online for 35 pounds.
    Confusing for us - we know 3 Pattis and 1 Paddy - We have no more room for any more friends with the name Patricia. And certainly not Pat, so what's it going to be?
    Gabrielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gabrielle,
    Thank you so much for reading it!
    I suppose in the scheme of things I wil always have to be Patti Bright, but just as Rihanna is really Robyn, Whoopie is really Caryn, Tina is really Anna and Sigourney is really Susan, I can become 'Kate' if I really want to. I am already Kate on twitter! And I think I would enjoy the freedom of writing under a pen name!!!

    ReplyDelete