Wednesday 29 February 2012

The Cleaning Lady Escapes!

Yes, I escaped. I went to London for a long weekend to see my son, Kristian, and I stayed at a gorgeous flat in Wapping (which belonged to my son's lovely girlfriend, Nadine.)

I remember Wapping in the 70s when I lived in London. It was grimy, seedy and not a place you'd particularly want to be. But now? Cobbled streets and converted warehouses. A lovely place to live. In fact, a lot has changed in London since I was a single career girl living in the big city. The tube trains are smart, clean and efficient. In my day the trains were filthy and people smoked on them. Floors strewn with discarded butt ends. There's nothing quite like being packed into a tube at rush hour and have a sweaty bloke puff his Players No6 in your face all the way home!

So Wapping was fantastic as was the rest of my weekend. We went to Covent Garden, Trafalgar Square to see the Olympic clock, the National Gallery to see Van Gogh's Sunflowers and a few other famous paintings, had dinner at a very nice restaurant and then a massive surprise for me - tickets to see Blood Brothers! Which was fantastic!!!

Next day, up early, bacon sandwiches and a lovely, long walk from Wapping along the Thames, across Tower Bridge, passed Boris's house and onto Borough Market.


London's oldest food market. Atmospheric and....



...mouth-watering. So much gorgeous food.


A roast beef bap and then...


...a saunter over the Millennium Bridge to St Pauls and on to the Museum of London for another surprise - tickets for the Dickins Exhibition.





Sunday was spent in an aromatic heaven.


Columbia road flower market.


Brick Lane Market.


The Boiler House Food Hall - Brick lane.



Sunday lunch in...




...The Mayflower.








What a fabulous weekend and all thanks to Kristian and Nadine!

But my escape didn't end there because just two weeks later I was with another of my sons, Stefan, at the awesome...



Rammstein gig at the LG Arena, Birmingham!







So, after that totally brilliant February, I expect I'd better get back into my Cinderella rags and go and clean someone's house!

No comments:

Post a Comment