Sunday 6 November 2011

Turning Japanese...I really think so

A few months ago my son introduced me to the NHK channel - Japan Broadcasting Corporation which broadcasts in English and Japanese and thus began my love affair with all things Japanese.

There are two really good shows.


'Begin Japanology'

Japanese people manage to make an art form out of absolutely everything and as for practicality? I'd visit Japan just to go to the toilet! They have the most innovative, thoughtful (yes, thoughtful, their public toilets play music to cover embarrassing noises) and practical toilets in the world. But I digress, because the other programme I'm hooked on is:



Your Japanese Kitchen

This cookery programme is brilliant and has got me trying out recipes which can be found on the NHK Channel web site.

But we're often stuck for ingredients - where to buy them? I can hardly walk into the local co-op and asked for Dashi stock. Blimey, you're lucky to get an oxo cube in there!

And then my son found an online Japanese food store called The Japanese Kitchen and we were like kids in a sweet shop. We even ordered chopsticks!


Sake, Mirin and Shoya Soya sauce


Dashi stock


We even bought sweets! Which were...interesting.


I wish we didn't live in the middle of nowhere because I'd love to go to a real Japanese restaurant and I'd love to visit Japan. I've just watched Idiot Abroad and Karl Pilkington bought a little gadget to pick up crisps out of the packet to save your hands getting all greasy, as they do. See? Practicality! I think I'd go absolutely crazy over there and come home with a suitcaseful of gadgets!

Anyway, I'm off to make some Japanese pancakes now, anyone want to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment