Sunday 1 August 2010

Another day, another flea market

After my disasterous attempt at selling at this particular flea market a few weeks ago, I decided to give it another chance and, armed with all the advice from other traders, turned up like a woman on a mission! I laid out the best table I possibly could. It was colourful, varied and, hopefully, appealing. They told me to do something to attract people to my stall and boy, did I do that. With the help of my artistic son, I produced some spectacular cupcakes plus a basket of Welsh cakes. They sold like...well...hotcakes. And as they sold, people bought other stuff, too. So it worked! It was such a good day. I made friends, I made money and I really enjoyed myself. This is sooo much better than cleaning. I spoke to the organizer afterwards and explained that although cup cakes are not strictly 'flea market' was it all right to do it again? She said: 'whatever draws people to your table is fine by me.'

Some of the other traders want the name changed to flea and craft market because there are a lot of craftsmen and artists there and one girl told me my cupcakes are 'edible art' - couldn't have put it better myself! My son has now opened up a flickr account for pictures of my creations and I've booked another table for two weeks time. The funny thing is, the fellow at the next table, who sold slate clocks, asked the organiser if he could do cakes next time and apparently he wasn't the only one. Guess they saw people at my table and decided to copy me. Only one thing for it - I'm going to have to up my game for next time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment