Saturday 24 September 2011

The Killing - Forbrydelsen

I've never really thought much about Denmark or Danish people except to say I've always hated their intensive pig farming, which is downright cruel.

But I've just finished watching the first series of the absolutely brilliant and totally compelling Danish thriller - The Killing or 'Forbrydelsen' Suddenly I can almost forgive (but not quite) the pig farming.



For me, this brilliant television series ranks alongside The Wire and Generation Kill.

Thank you BBC 4 - long may you reign - for bringing this superb series to us. And yes, it's with sub titles but that makes it even better because you don't miss one word of the script.


I loved the brilliant writing, moody cinematography, superb acting and soundtrack that subtly wrapped itself around each scene. I loved that every twist and turn of the story sent you scurrying down paths only to find you were without resolution yet again. I loved that it kept you guessing until the very end as you watched with anticipation every thread of the story weave itself together.



I loved Lars Mikkelsen as Troels Hartmann, the tall, smouldering politician whose election campaign becomes embroiled in a murder investigation.



But most of all, I loved Sofie Grabol as DCI Sarah Lund for the fact that she managed to make unkempt hair scraped back in a ponytail, no makeup, old jeans and flat shoes look cool.

I shall be adopting the Scandi scruffy look from now on...

No comments:

Post a Comment